Teaching monks

I write this from the Sunset Coffee Bar in Hikkidua, on Sri Lanka’s south coast. The scenery is perfect, although the wi-fi leaves a lot to be desired.

When I have not been shuttling back and forth between Ambalangoda (the place I currently call home) and Colombo (where my crippled iPhone is still in intensive care), I have been teaching Buddhist monks.

The phrase "teaching Buddhist monks" comes with a few caveats. While it is true I have been working on simple English phrases and sentence structures with monks aged between nine and sixteen, and I have also been doing some basic maths with them, it is also true that I have been slapped cheekily around the face, had ice poured down my back, and been assaulted with a variety of flying kicks and punches.

Admittedly, the ice was extremely welcome. Buddhist etiquette round these parts insists that knees must be covered in the vicinity of Buddhist temples, meaning I have no choice but to wear the one pair of trousers I brought with me - a pair of tight jeans.

Don't wear skin hugging jeans in the tropics.

Shoulders must also be covered, so after an hour of teaching these monks my shirt is usually soaked.

If I'm honest, I'd struggle to complain about the punches and the kicks. These monks are about one-third to one-quarter my size, and so the threat level is low - even when I am heavily outnumbered, as I always am. Having engaged in some monk fighting, I usually finish the day's session feeling like a level boss in a computer game - impervious to the spirited, if futile, attacks thrown at me.


Over the last few days I have become fond of these kung fu monks. In addition to the mixed martial arts, there are hugs at unexpected times - and lots of smiles. I have learned to play their favourite clapping game at warp speed. 

The kid in this picture - Suseela - was the cheekiest of the lot. He borrowed my camera on one of the days and took a load of selfies. Some of them came out really well. I'll miss those monks.

Note: this post was originally published 22nd October 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dudhsagar Falls

The Hornbill Mural, Borneo